2 c. whole wheat flour (pastry, if available)
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1½ c. mashed banana (~ 5 medium)
1 1/8 c. lt. brown sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon (or orange) peel
Equivalent of 2 eggs using Egg Replacer (by ENER-G, instructions on box)
½ c. Low-Fat Firm Silken Tofu, aseptic, shelf-stable
¼ c. chopped walnuts, optional
1/3 c. dried cranberries, optional
1. Preheat oven according to 350 oF.
2. In a mini food processor or a blender combine silken tofu, Egg Replacer powder and water required for Egg Replacer. Blend to smooth consistency.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Mix well, either with sifter or hand whisk.
4. Using a hand blender or Kitchen Aid (w/ batter blade), mash bananas. Add mixture from step 2, sugar and lemon peel. Blend well.
5. Lightly fold in mixture from step 3 until combined in to banana mixture. Add walnuts and cranberries at this stage if desired.
6. Bake in a 9x5x3 inch pan, greased with non-stick baking spray, for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Bread should be a golden brown color all around. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool for remaining time.
7. Bread freezes well. Use as French toast bread for a gourmet touch.