3 cups finely shredded organic carrots
Juice of 1/2 orange
2 cups all-purpose or cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup peanut oil
½ c. soft silken tofu
Equivalent of 3 eggs using Egg Replacer (by ENER-G, instructions on box)
½ c. chopped walnuts, optional
½ c. raisins, optional
“Cream Cheese” Frosting
(makes 3 cups)
8 ounces Toffuti brand cream cheese alternative, softened
5 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven according to 350 oF. Grease 2- 9 1/2 inch round baking pans.
2. In a mini food processor or a blender combine silken tofu, Egg Replacer powder and water required for Egg Replacer. Blend to smooth consistency.
3. Finely grate carrots and add juice of one-half orange. Carrots must be finely grated, otherwise they will sink to bottom of pan while baking.
4. Using a hand blender or Kitchen Aid (w/ batter blade), combine mixture from step 2 with sugar. Add carrots.
5. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
6. Blend dry ingredients into mixture from step 4. Add walnuts and raisins at this stage if desired.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool for remaining time.
1. In a mini food processor or a blender combine silken tofu and cream cheese alternative. Blend to smooth consistency. Transfer to bowl.
2. Using electric mixer, slowly blend in confectioner’s sugar. When all the sugar has been added, pour in vanilla extract.
3. Frost top of once cake and place second cake on top. Frost top and sides of the two layer cake. Cover with chopped walnuts if desired.